Hosting a dinner party is good for your social life. It’s one of life’s simple joys, laughing and talking with your friends or colleagues over a nice, delicious home-cooked dinner.
But hosting a dinner party is no–no, it’s definitely not a–walk in the park. It requires preparation, planning, and a little bit of smart organization on your part, especially if you’re living in an apartment.
Here are some tips:
1. Spruce up the dinner table Dressing the dinner table goes a long way into making your hosted dinner party a success. Learn how to fold your napkins with an artistic touch, or get someone-a woman friend, your apartment roommate, your mom-to do it for you.
2. Bring out a fancy menu This is something most dinner host don’t even consider doing. Take time to design and print the menu typed in a fancy font, then cut them out in long rectangles and other shapes to place on the table for guests to use. This simple touch adds a whole new dimension and element of surprise to your otherwise ordinary dinner party.
3. Let the music set the mood Use music to enhance the mood of your dinner party. If possible, match it to the ethnicity and style of the food you’ll be serving. But since an apartment only has limited space, make sure not to turn the music up too loud or else it may distract conversation.
4. Don’t hesitate to experiment with your dinner table Be creative in designing your table setting. Use bright, colorful fabric for table cloth, or shower glitters in a straight line from the doorway to the dinner table, and light up scented candles to enhance the experience. This is a great way to set the appetite for the main entree.
5. Rent tables and chairs You live in an apartment, and I assume you don’t have a lot of tables and chairs lying around for hosting big parties. So for dinner parties, why not consider renting fancy tables and chairs-table and chair covers, even-to accommodate everyone as well as dress up the room a little. You can return them the following day when everyone has gone and things are back to normal in your apartment.
Hosting a dinner party in an apartment can prove to be a little hectic. But it’s doable, as long as you follow the above pointers, you’ll do great. You just need to trust yourself that your little apartment can entertain as many guests as you want.